Finally finished - only took about 6 months! I didn't work on it regularly and it was made using left-over material from various other quilting projects as well as some random fat quarters. Pattern is 'trip around the world' with a scrap-pieced border.
I love to learn new things... at least when it's my own idea. So I've been learning...
I started earlier this year and made several dishcloths. Experimenting with the various stitches and pretending to follow patterns. It isn't hard really, but does require a level of concentration and some time that I don't always possess in great quantities.
Nevertheless, I've been itching to move on to 'bigger and better' things in the world of knitting. So I found the pattern "Easy Peasy Hat", purchased a skein of gray yarn and a circular needle... then everything sat on the floor by my bed for quite a while. I need to work up to things sometimes.
Finally I found the time and needed concentration to begin. So I set myself to make a hat for Steve to wear when he runs in the cold weather. Which is a lot of the time here in NH.
I discovered that working with the circular needle is really cool and the project moved along pretty quickly to my great surprise. It began to look like ... well... as Steve said... a gray circle thingy. But I was making progress!
Finally - yesterday afternoon - I finished it! It was a real, honest-to-goodness hat! I had done it!
Steve even humored me and tried it on for me to get a photo. He says it fits just the way he likes and he'll be happy to wear it.
I warned him that when his runner-friends tease him about his funny hat, he is obligated to stick up for me.
I've been on a kick lately to try and finish up odd projects and also to use up things I have already. This is especially necessary when it comes to my sewing. Do you KNOW how much fabric I have amassed over the last 9 years?
It's embarrassing to admit... there is so much that I forget what I have. Not a good thing generally, though it has led to some happy discovering when I open the odd bin or drawer and find some perfectly lovely piece of fabric just begging to be used in some way.
Anyway - I had been 'using up' some flannels for a small baby quilt. These are flannels from an assortment of projects in days gone by. I finally finished the hand work for the binding this past week. Now to decide what to do with this little snuggly bit of work.
Shows how long I've been collecting fabric. This backing flannel was purchased to make "lovies" when Ben was just a baby. He never took to the lovies the way Jess did, so I didn't use it then.
Yes - all the photos of the front of the quilt are sideways. I couldn't figure out how to edit them on this computer. Good thing the pattern works in any direction.